– The Internet isn’t always a friendly place, especially to those who are trying to build a successful online business or blog. When you start your WordPress site, one thing that you may find to be an immediate stumbling block is search engine optimization or SEO. It’s not as easy as including a few keywords in content.
– In fact, with recent changes to the most popular search engine (Google), you have to go above and beyond anything from the past to be truly successful.
Search engines are extremely important, and if you don’t think about your rankings, you are basically hobbling your website. If you want to be successful, then you need to set up your site for search engine success.
– What many people don’t understand is that their WordPress page isn’t the same as a regular website. It is static, like standard pages, but it is also created with CMS. In other words, with a standard page, the site is built with an HTML document. Think of it like a picture that is posted on the Internet. With WordPress, the site is still technically static, but it is also fluid in many ways through posts and other functions.
-To make your website successful, you need to know how to properly use categories and tags. They are different; and how you use them actually does matter. Here are some basics:
- You should only have a few categories: no more than 10. They are all-encompassing topics that your posts will be split into.
- Tags are more specific. Think of them as branches off a large tree trunk, and they allow users to find each of the posts they need to read.
- Never leave anything uncategorized.
- Index categories, but not tags.
- Don’t include tags in the main menu.
- Categories should be easily findable in main menus and sidebars.
- Categories should stay the same, but you can make up new tags as you go.